FAFSA simplification is underway, the changes this year are meant to make the financial aid process more streamlined for families and include more students to be eligible for Pell grants. The FAFSA will now open in December 2023. Some key highlights:
- Students and parents will need an FSA ID. You can get one now at Studentaid.gov.
- Want help creating an ID? Join us for our upcoming FSA ID workshops!
- It takes approximately 3 days for the FSA ID to get verified via email. You will not be able to complete the FAFSA and the FSA ID all in one day.
- The student will need the parent’s email addresses, social security numbers, and date of birth to complete the FAFSA.
- The FAFSA will directly link with the IRS site to connect financial information to the FAFSA.
- Parents and guardians will have 45 days to complete their portion from when the student starts their section.
- Parents and guardians with no social security number will also need an FSA ID. There will be an identity verification through one of the credit bureaus, if the verification is unsuccessful the student and parent will need to submit a paper FAFSA.
Families can start now with getting their FSA ID, see the instructions below provided by KHEAA.
Want to take a deeper dive into FAFSA changes and processes? Check out the resources below from the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority: