Jefferson County Public Schools (JCPS) and Evolve502 will lead a community-wide College and Career Signing Day social media campaign beginning May 1 to congratulate the Class of 2020 and wish them the best on their future college and career plans.
College and Career Signing Day, a national campaign led by Better Make Room, invites seniors to announce their college and career plans through posts on social media. Businesses and community members are invited to participate by posting messages of encouragement and congratulations to seniors.
While communities, including Louisville, have traditionally held College Signing Day events in-person each year to gather and celebrate seniors, the national campaign moved online this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.
“Our seniors are missing out on so much right now – proms, senior trips, just the chance to be with one another,” said Marland Cole, Evolve502 executive director. “While we know they’re disappointed, we can’t let this moment in time pass without celebrating the years and work they’ve put in to graduate high school and move forward with their college and career goals. We need to lift this group of students up and celebrate their success.”
“JCPS is on track to celebrate some of its highest ever transition-readiness rates across the district,” said JCPS Superintendent Dr. Marty Pollio. “We are thrilled to have the support of Evolve502 in recognizing the class of 2020 as they prepare to take the next step into college, career, and life.”
Here’s how to participate:
Students should post videos, photos or messages announcing their post-high school plans. Be creative, family-friendly and fun.
- Students are encouraged to wear hats or shirts from their future college.
- Make sure to tag your future college or employer.
- Use the national campaign hashtag #collegesigningday as well as the local campaign hashtags #wearejcpsathome and #evolve502. Our groups may share or comment on your posts.
- Evolve502 will host drawings for a limited number of gifts cards for those students who participate and use the three hashtags listed above.
Businesses/organizations/individuals are also invited to participate by posting messages of support to congratulate the Class of 2020 on their decisions. Ideas for participating include:
- Post a message on social accounts congratulating seniors on their college and career decisions
- Make a video message about your college career decision and how it shaped your future
- Post throwback photos of yourself as a college student/young professional with a message about the importance of that time in your life
- Post photos or videos of yourself wearing gear from your alma mater while congratulating the class of 2020
- Use the hashtags #collegesigningday #wearejcpsathome and #evolve502. JCPS and Evolve502 may share or comment on your posts.
Make sure to follow these social media accounts on May 1 and throughout the month to celebrate the Class of 2020: